Friday, January 12, 2007

Thursday night

And I should really be getting to bed...

I had a brief email exchange with a college/grad school friend tonight who asked me for an invite and, in the course of a few messages, pointed out that my blog isn't really all that racy. There's nothing here that's so horrifying. What's the problem with having it public, really?

I thought about it and in a nutshell, it's not really the fear of any repercussions if anyone did find it. It's more the sense of constraint I now feel, wondering who might be reading me. I started writing a blog for two basic reasons: as a sort of online baby book, and as a way of writing for my own pleasure. I write for a living, and since almost all my writing is done under someone else's name I rarely have a chance to write what I want, how I want. I don't want to feel that this, too, has to be edited and censored to suit someone else. That's all, really.

In the same email exchange I mentioned that I felt it was sort of a chutzpa to send out blog invitations to everyone I know. ("Hey, everyone, read all about my kid's potty trips! I'm so self-absorbed I think you care!") But, well, nobody has to accept an invite, and I really do like having readers (see self-absorbed, above) so I just went through my uberimma mailbox sending out a whole bunch. If you've ever emailed me at that address, you probably just got one. Ignore at will, etc.

All that said, time for me to go to bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

responding to the invite took me to a dead end, wanted me to establish a google acct and then froze. Maybe I wasn't the only one.

Yael said...

well...mine worked fine.

and i love reading your blog. :)

Israel Mom said...

happy to be invited.

happy to be here :P

ps. do you really need word verification now that your blog is by invite only?

uberimma said...

Good point, IM. I just took them off. I hate those things myself--I can never get them on the first try.