Tuesday, January 09, 2007

As my blogging ego gently weeps

Last night, my husband woke me up at 12:30 am. I was not pleased. I was tired, and I hadn't gotten much sleep for a few nights in a row, and I was cranky, and I had just fallen asleep, and I didn't react well to someone shaking my shoulder urgently and saying, "I'm so sorry!" He had, it appeared, committed a slight indiscretion: posted to a halacha blog with his real name without logging me out of blogger.

I got out of bed, none too graciously, staggered blearily into the back room, squinted at the computer, and changed the settings on my blog to "private." I said I'd think about it some more in the morning, and I went back to bed. (After forgiving him fully and freely for doing something that he would never have done if he had just gone to bed when I'd suggested it instead of insisting innocently that he had work to do and then hunkering down with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon to read some halacha blogs. I think I can get some serious go-to-bed-before-2-am-PLEASE mileage out of this, at least.)

I did think about it in the morning, and started picturing a world in which the parents of his students discovered my blog and my commentary about things like childbirth and nursing. Or a world in which my boss found my blog and found posts about mikva ladies and the TSA. Or one in which my kids' future in-laws found my blog and discovered that my husband has Strongbad t-shirts hidden in his dresser and sometimes we eat lasagne for Shabbos dinner and I wrote a dissertation on scientific atheism in the Soviet Union and... well. You know. Skeletons in the closet like that.

So, until I get over it, I'm going to make this blog private. If you want an invite, send me an email and promise me that you have no offspring enrolled in my husband's school that you are aware of, and that if you have any designs on my kids marrying your kids you are okay with the fact that I am currently wearing purple shoes. If you have me an an RSS feed, do nothing--I didn't change those settings. Which, if you are reading this, you already know.

Ah, well. So much for my aspirations to blogging greatness. I do it for the artistic satisfaction, don't I? And because my husband likes reading about what I did all day.

And now I can tell you all about the speeches I wrote for the deputy prime minister of Thailand. I'm sure you can't wait.

8 comments:

Israel Mom said...

I don't know how I can read this without being signed in, but please keep me on your blog! I was devastated to find that you put it on private and I wasn't invited (insert pity party here).

I don't know you and therefore don't know your email address ... I don't even know where you live! But I want to keep reading. I've been following since the begining ...

Please? I'm israelmom at gmail dot com.

Lots of thanks!

Anonymous said...

question that's been bugging me:
what does mhh stand for?

my h---- husband??

uberimma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm a new reader of a couple weeks' duration. I came here from Sarah's knitting blog.

I have very much enjoyed reading your blog, and have even gone back to the beginning.

Like Israelmom, I don't have your email address. I don't know you, your hubby or even where you live, but I would like to keep reading. Would you please add me to the list of approved readers...?

PhyllisM
organizer2003ATyahooDOTcom

Thanks!
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm here from Sara's blog too and have been following you and your family for a long time. I would love to be able to contiune.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto. And you got a reader from Tennessee here. But I already have your blog on RSS feed. So as long as that stays the same...I get my fix, right? :)

Flan said...

I'd love to keep reading (I got here from Sarah's blog originally) but I've been reading for a long time- well before Iyyar was born. Given that I don't have kids, and I don't know where you live, I think I'm safe. However, I don't have your e-mail.

Mine is emphaticknittingATgmailDOTcom

Anonymous said...

Although I always lurk, your ultimatum has forced me to come out of lurkdom. I get a lot of mothering hizuk form your blog. I don't think my boys are old enough to be your husband's students even if I had any idea who you were or where you lived. (Although I'd be tempted to move to that undisclosed locations so that my boys could be your husband's students)
staceyamir at gmail dot com