Friday, April 07, 2006

Sprung

So, the midwife who got paged when I called in the middle of the night called me back at 7 pm last night, just to check up on me. How nice is that? Something else that never ever happened when I was pregnant with Barak and using a big university-hospital OB practice. She told me, in short, that they were no longer concerned that I'd deliver any time soon, and I could do whatever I wanted.

"Really, whatever I want?" I asked, somewhat incredulously. You mean, I've gone from "don't you dare move a muscle" to "sure, take your kid to the park"? Apparently so. The interesting (or annoying, or frustrating, or whatever, however you look at it) thing about all of this is that one of the other midwives told me that she probably would never have put me on bedrest in the first place. The whole thing is so controversial, whether it even works at all. It's sure not restful--I feel a lot better now than I did when I was lying down all day and every muscle ached. And Barak is a much happier little boy than he was two days ago, now that Imma is back in commission.

Oh, gee, and speaking of Barak--it's been a while since we've had an update. In brief: he can now count to 5, with occasional bursts of accuracy, and help me sing the ABC song (he even knows W! why does that impress me so much?) He has several real sentences, including, predictably, "I don't want it!" and "I do it!" Ring a bell with anyone who's ever had a toddler?

Current goal in life is avoiding ever getting dressed. Favorite foods have not changed much, though he's gotten more open-minded about what cereal he gets for breakfast (good thing too, since he's about to get Pesach-Os.) He now calls me "Imma" instead of "Amma," and the cat is now "Emese" instead if "Amama." (Yes, the cat and I used to be one syllable apart. And she got the extra syllable, too.) He can make his own lego towers, loves Play-Doh, and has started giving me hugs with a running start. Mmm. My favorite.

The one nice thing about the whole bedrest episode is that I'm now cleared to work at home until the baby comes. I mentioned to my boss earlier that I might get off bedrest weeks before the baby came, and she said, "Well, do you want to be commuting in your ninth month?" Er, no, I don't, now that you mention it. So now I'm working at home for the duration, going in just for meetings if necessary. Not sure it was worth it just for that, but I'll take the perk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You get to have a life! Congratulations!