Saturday, April 08, 2006

Reality sinks in

I have four days until Pesach. But not really.

According to the calendar, I have four, but I don't. In reality, I have one day and three evenings, counting tonight. In order to take Thursday and Friday off, I have to work full days on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The no-chametz status crashes into effect midmorning Wednesday, which means that essentially everything has to be done by then. I'll be home, but I'll be working. True, I won't have the commute time and I can rush around doing things a little during the day, but there will be no major productivity. So the kitchen needs to get turned over--meaning, transformed from chametz to Pesach status--tomorrow. Any cooking that will be done has to happen on Monday and Tuesday nights. And Pesach, ready or not, will be here Wednesday night.

I'm glad I'm not still on bedrest, obviously. But now I have a day and three evenings to do what, ordinarily, I would have been working on for weeks. It's not that I'm starting from scratch (chas v'shalom); thanks to Marika neni, the living room, hall, and all three bedrooms are now chametz-free. In accordance with our LOR (not Lord of the Rings--Local Orthodox Rabbi), we don't worry about the bathrooms. The closets are done. It's just the kitchen that's left.

"Just" the kitchen. Riiiight.

No comments: