Wednesday, April 05, 2006

howls of frustration

So, last Friday I went to the midwife and based on how things looked, she cleared me to be vertical a lot more--still resting, but sitting more than lying down. (Ergo the last two lengthy blog posts--I can type!! woohoo!) A big improvement, but still a major crimp in the pre-Pesach employed-outside-the-home mother-of-toddler lifestyle.

Today I went back. I'm 34 weeks, which is a much more comfortable place to be if I were to deliver now, but it still would be very far from ideal. The midwife (not my usual one--she's on vacation this week) did a fetal fibronectin test, which, if negative, would indicate that I'd have less than a 1% chance of delivering in the next two weeks. A negative would therefore mean, as she put it, that I could move from "bedrest to taking-it-easy rest." Sounds much better to me! I asked when the results would be in (it's always been a couple of hours in the past) and she said she was going home so wouldn't be able to call me. I asked if I could just call the office before five to find out, and she said fine.

So at 4:45 I called. And I got the machine, saying, "Thank you for calling [our wonderful] obstetric practice. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 am through 4:30 pm."

ARGH!!!!! I need to wait fifteen hours to find out if I can cook for Pesach, or if it's going to be a week of matza and cheese?!?! noooooo...

No comments: