Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In an act of kindness and chesed, and because he realizes that his wife is teetering dangerously close to the edge (well, not right now, but sometimes) MHH has agreed to field the nightly screamfest. During which Barak hollers for crackers, water, his monkey, poop potty, raisins, and anything else he can think of, and/or monologues in his crib while kicking the side, from anywere from one to four hours; during which the baby wakes up every three to fifteen minutes and screams, because sleep, well, sleep is the enemy, isn't it?

I have the unsavory habit of getting mad at my husband when the kids won't sleep. Even when he's not even home. I can't rationally get mad at the baby, so who is there to get mad at? The person who provided him with the sleep-resistant genes, of course.

Right now, they are taking turns screaming, MHH is trying to ignore Barak but periodically has to go to him to get him to shut up so the baby has a chance, and I am hiding in the back bedroom wondering if I should have mercy on them all. I mean, most nights it's just me, while MHH is out learning. Most night Iyyar does not sleep until I finally give up and take him into bed with me, at which point he looks up at me adoringly through puffy, tearstained eyes, after four or five hours of fighting sleep like the devil itself, grins the most pathetic, heart-melting, frustrating, guilt-inducing grin imaginable, snuggles up to me, and passes out.

MHH said I could have a scream-free night, or at least a night free of dealing with the screaming. But still. He's clearly suffering out there. I guess I should go help out.

Maybe I'll knit another couple of rows first, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say it is your duty to share this with MHH. If not, then how is he truly bonding with his sons?

I Know Toni said...

It's hard to do either - stay out of it - and help out. You do need a break occationally - gives you some time and gives your husband a better appreciation of what you go through.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Like jacque says: if he's fielding the screamfest to save you from it, then go far enough away that you won't hear it.

Having him *also* miserable isn't the point, but giving you a break.

. . . have you tried letting your husband deal with Barak while you take Iyyar into bed to snuggle without the 4-5 hours of screaming first?

uberimma said...

Of course I've tried it. It works great. No screaming at all. Instead, Iyyar giggles and plays until midnight.