Monday, October 30, 2006

Grumble

When I was pregnant with Barak, I gained weight. Okay, everybody gains weight when they're pregnant, but I gained a LOT of weight. And, having just gotten married and started cooking dinner every night, I had already gained weight before I got pregnant. At my first prenatal, when I was maybe 8 weeks pregnant, I looked at the scale in shock. "I already gained that much from being pregnant?" I asked the LPN. "No, honey, that's all you," she said. Uh-oh. And I went on to gain 41 pounds from there. Yup yup.

Eventually, I lost all but 5 of that, gaining back another five the summer I kept getting pregnant for a few weeks at a time. By the time I had my first prenatal with Iyyar, I was up 15 pounds from what I weighed when I got pregnant with Barak (which, though it was so horrifying at the time, I would consider not a terrible weight for now.) From my first prenatal to giving birth, I gained 30. When I went back to work, I'd lost 20 of that. The last time I checked my weight on a reliable scale, I'd gotten back to my first-prenatal point.

Last weekend, I picked up some bug the kids had had earlier in the week and spent Shabbos in bed shivering with a fever. Sunday morning I thought, hmm, I think I lost some weight from that. And since we didn't have one, I thought, well, maybe it's time to buy a bathroom scale. Which I did.

The scale told me I'd lost seven--seven!!--more pounds. This number would me to "lost all weight related to Iyyar."

Really?!

I was suspicious.

So today at work, I went up to the ladies' room with a balance scale and checked.

Feh.

Not seven. Two. The new scale weighs light.

I mean, I'll take it, obviously. But seven would have been nicer.

I think we'll all go for a walk now.

No comments: