Thursday, October 19, 2006

I really really shouldn't be blogging now

because Iyyar is napping and I have work to do. But since this blog is also my only form of baby book, and I don't want to forget:

1. Iyyar got his first tooth last Friday morning. Bottom right. The other one is almost through. He was not happy for a few days, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him now. Tooth! Five and a half months! I'm not ready for this...

2. Essential back story: when Barak asks for something I can't or won't give him, I often offer an alternative. As in, "Juice please Imma!" "We're not having juice now. How about water?" Got that? Good.

Yesterday, he asked for a cup of milk to go with his green noodles. (Spinach noodles--not more nutritious, but more interesting.) I gave him a cup of milk. "No top. Straw!" I didn't give him a straw, but I did give him a cup with no top, along with admonishments to drink nicely, please. Which he did, initially. Then he started pouring his milk into his bowl, out of the bowl with noodles and into the bowl with cheese, etc. He made a fairly substantial mess, which I don't mind so much, and wasted a lot of expensive organic milk, which I do. Then he ran out of milk. "More milk please!"

"Barak, are you going to drink the milk or pour it in the bowl?"

"Pour it in the bowl." At least he's honest.

"Well, if you're going to pour it in the bowl I'm not going to give you milk."

"More milk please!"

"No, no more milk."

Pause while Barak considers this.

"How about water?"

3. Another word I apparently use a lot is "just." Do you want this and this, or just this? We try to give choices around here as much as reasonably possible. (Did I blog about this already? I can't remember. My mind is as mush. As very mushy mush.)

A few weeks ago, in a moment of weakness, I offered Barak some chocolate milk. He studied it, identified it as weird, and declined. "Barak, you're nuts. This is chocolate milk. It's delicious. You don't want chocolate milk?"

"No milk. Just chocolate please."

No comments: