Saturday, November 28, 2009

Questionable mothering

Barak just went to bed. At 10:49 PM. I told him he could come out of bed to play little Lego in my office but had to be in bed by 9. That was the initial plan. But, well, he started feeding the Lego horse some Lego fish and I told him horses didn't eat fish so he started feeding the horse apples, and then he decided that the horse needed an apple tree so he built the horse an apple tree, and then he thought the pirates were probably hungry so he built them a gefilte fish tree and then he made a chrain bush and... well, he was being so cute and so happy I just couldn't make him go to bed.

At around 10:30 he got hungry himself and asked for some Chex and milk. And then he said,

"Imma, know what Imma?"

"What?"

"I want to go to bed now."

"Okay. Good night."

"Good night. I love you Imma."

"I love you too."

I hope I don't regret it in the morning, but right now I don't regret it at all.

(Oh, and in case you didn't notice... yes, I'm still here. Last weekend sometime I complained to one of my, ahem, less sympathetic friends about how walking around at 5 cm is not the most fun ever. She cheerfully regaled me with tales about a mutual friend who walked around at 5 cm for 10 days. Which point I will pass, um, tomorrow. Assuming I am still pregnant. Which, let's face it, I probably will be.)

4 comments:

Nancy said...

A very special time for both you and Barak. Take care...

shanna said...

Clearly you need to find more sympathetic friends.

OneTiredEma said...

Twice in the past 10 days we've let AM stay up and participate in a "grown up" activity (penny stakes poker on Thanksgiving and Rummikub on shabbat) because he was so incredibly cute. And also refused to go to sleep because he wanted to be where the action was, and we didn't want to have to go lie down with him for an hour.

I really don't think this falls into the Questionable Mothering category. Sorry. Unless there were sharps mixed in with the legos or something.

Jasmijn said...

Sweet! No, I think special time like this now and again is Perfectly Fine Mothering.

Do keep up the daily postings, even if they are only to say "no news" -- as you may have noticed already, some of us (::cough cough::) get a bit jumpy when we don't hear from you every day.