Saturday, January 03, 2009

Hurt me

Friday's GI series went fine. Iyyar did not enjoy himself but drank the stuff he was supposed to drink and generally cooperated as much as could be expected; the radiologist said everything looked normal. Friday night he (Iyyar, not radiologist) pooped with minimal crying and hopes were raised. Today, though--two straight awful hours of screaming and crying and writhing and stomping his feet, pulling each knee up to his tummy in turn, all while pleading and wailing. "Hurt me! Hurt me tushy! Poopy! Owww..." I tell him he needs to poop and then he'll feel better. "I can't..."

I don't know. One second he's in agony and the next something catches his interest, then you can see on his face when something hurts again. It seems like it's abdominal cramping from his behavior. He isn't really that constipated though, in regards to how much is in there--not so much poop showed up on the scan and he's been going at least somewhat almost every day. So why does it hurt so much? I don't know. We'll see how tomorrow goes--one more day on Miralax--and then I'll call the doctor on Monday to see what's next.

4 comments:

miriamp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miriamp said...

Food diary? is there something he's not eating when everything seems fine and then eating again once he feels better and then he feels awful again?

(Possible culprits that spring to mind: dairy, gluten, random spices? My husband is oregano intolerant, for example.)

I'm grasping at straws here, but it really could be some sort of food intolerance, as much as we usually think of diarrhea, not constipation, as a food intolerance symptom.

At any rate, I hope you figure everything out and he feels better all the time, soon!

miriamp said...

Example, linking chronic constipation to cow's milk sensitivity.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/547083_3

LC said...

Good luck on finding an easy solution quickly! Refuah shelaimah, Iyyar!