Monday, January 05, 2009

Everybody's a critic


Last Friday Ada came over to help out, since Asnat was out of town and I had to take Iyyar for the GI and then, theoretically, work, although that part never did happen. As she was leaving I noticed her wrapping a polyester fleece scarf around her neck. With what was probably barely concealed disapproval, I asked her if that was warm. She said it wasn't and she'd been looking for a better (read: wool) scarf. I don't actually like knitting scarves that much--they're boring as anything--but this situation simply could not be allowed. "I'll make you one," I said. "What do you want?" We established that the scarf should be pink, that it did not have to be especially soft, and that wide was good.

I thought about spinning something, then decided in the name of speed to, um, make a directional scarf in Silk Garden Sock. (Yeah. Speed. In sock yarn. I know, I know.) I cast on this morning and by midafternoon sometime was into the first short-row section. Then Iyyar came over and inquired as to what I was doing. The conversation went something like this:

"What dat?"

"That's for Ada."

"Dat socks?"

"No, that's a scarf."

"Garf?"

"Yep, scarf."

"Not garf. Sock."

"No, it's a scarf."

"No gike it."

"You don't have to like it."

Pause during which Iyyar wrinkles nose in expression of total disgust. Then, shaking head disapprovingly,

"I gink Urda no gike it. Ewww."

The scarf is sitting on a shelf until Ada is here next. I'm not making an entire scarf out of sock yarn if it's going to be ewww.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Wa-ait a minute. Now you're taking knitting direction from your three-year-old son?!

uberimma said...

Two and a half, actually. He's not three till after Pesach.