Sunday, December 10, 2006

CSY.3, and a bonus pair from the stash

If you are one of my readers who isn't fascinated by sometime knitting blogs (AM) you can skip this post.

But if you are into the knitting end of things, read on...

Ooh! My first pair of Opal socks, and my first pair where I short-rowed both heels and toes. (Verdict: not worth it on the toes. I'd rather just use a figure-8 cast-on or an ordinary decrease-and-graft). Look fast, they're going in the mail on Monday. (I hope.) I'm not worried about giving away any surprises--the recipient is in Jerusalem without internet access at the moment.

And aah! Ignore the mess in the background, please.

These are Meilenweit, color whatever--ball band is long gone. Knit from the toe up, with a figure-8 cast on and a hybrid heel--I did my usual short-row-and-heel-flap heel, but with the Priscilla Gibson-Roberts backward loop yos instead of wrapped turns. Very nice, if I do say so. These are not CSY socks--it's yarn I had in my stash--but they are noteworthy in that they are going not in the mail, but in my very own sock drawer! Mwa ha ha ha!

4 comments:

AidelMaidel said...

I am so not a knitting person, but I figured I would click through and look at the pictures, and my older daughter saw the pair on your feet (the pink ones) and she pointed to them and said, "Are those mine? Those are mine right?" So you see you already have a four year old admirer in NYC.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. :) I want to try toe-up with figure8 cast on. Thus far I've not succeeded but I will keep trying. And yay for socks going into your sock drawer. warm feet!! happy feet!!

uberimma said...

Penny, have you tried the "toe chimney" method in the Lucy Neatby sock book? Instead of doing a figure 8 cast on for the 20 (for example) stitches you need to start, you do a regular cast on with waste yarn. Knit half an inch or so, then switch to the real yarn and go on knitting with the increases etc. When you're done, unpick the waste yarn, and graft together the live stitches. If you really have trouble with the figure-8, this takes more time but is easier.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog for non-knitting reasons, but my mother, a knitter, just sent me this link, so I though I'd pass it on (since I didn't see an e-mail link on your main page). Pretty stuff:

http://www.chezplum.com/