Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Pretend you don't know me

Hey, it's post number 201!

I have a knitting buddy on the other side of the planet with whom I email, er, let's say rather frequently. It helps that we both keep funny hours and she is 17 hours ahead of me. Every so often, maybe once a year, the question will come up: how much money would we have that we now do not have if we had never learned to knit (or spin or weave or...) The answer is usually something along the lines of "it doesn't bear thinking about," followed by, "besides, if we didn't knit we'd probably have found some other, equally expensive hobby."

I can't help but wonder: how much other, more necessary stuff could I have gotten done if I weren't spending time writing this blog? It isn't really bothering me--I like writing it, MHH likes reading it, and it continues to fulfill its primary purpose of allowing me to write something while not pretending to be someone other than myself. Besides, I'd probably have written half of what's here in some email or another anyway. Because my scores of daily readers (well, almost scores--usually about 37) are mostly people I know. Except for the person from Owings Mills, Maryland who spent more than an hour reading this yesterday, in the middle of the night. Who are you, and why weren't you asleep? I can't possibly be that interesting.

Anyway... about the title of this post. Could you, please? You might know who I am. You might have gone to school with me, you might knit with me, you might be the father of my children. (Hello, dear.) But in the comments section, could you please try not to post anything really really identifying of who I am or where we live? Because, you know, our jobs are such that it would be a lot better if you didn't. Thanks for the understanding and so on.

Okay, I'm going to go to bed now. Really. Because Iyyar is asleep, and Barak is asleep, and I must take full advantage of this.

5 comments:

LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Hi...I'm a reform Jew (converted from Presbyterianism!) here in Sunny So Cal. I love reading your blog, and hearing of your sons, and your Jewish traditions, and home.

It's funny, isn't it?..how connected we become to people we never meet? I wish you peace, and a L'Shana Tovah!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am Pat DeLeeuw. Sarah Peasley taught me to knit at age 51(now 55). She showed me the sweater you knit for her-fabulous. I just enjoying reading about your family and life(I am rural mid-Michigan and kind of Episcopalian raised-although several other religions make much more sense to me and I have a friend who is married to a Jewish man(well, he is also a friend) but really religion has nothing to do with it. I just think your family sounds wonderful! And I love the city you live in--Shh, I won't tell. I hope Sarah gets a picture of your family so I can see how cute the boys are!! Love the dinasaur hat!

Anonymous said...

I'm just a mom living in Israel: orthodox, yeshivish, whatever you want to call me ... and I adore your blog. Keep it coming!

Anonymous said...

OK, OK, have it your way. I won't tell anybody you're a glamorous Hollywood starlet who gave up the high life to raise miniature pot bellied pigs for charity in Missoula, Montana. I won't mention anything about the great times we had as children in Monaco, or that time we both made the front page of National Geographic Magazine in that sensational "Mummies of the Rain Forest" expose. Mum's the word.

Ummm, that was you, wasn't it?

uberimma said...

JasMIN!!!

You weren't supposed to TELL anybody!

{sigh}

And it wasn't miniature potbellied pigs. It was musk oxen. Just ask Cecilia.