Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I really should be working

But I just wanted to post this, to get it off my chest.

First: I have a new double jogging stroller. (I bought it before they increased the price, fortunately--it's been in a box in the basement since last winter.) It rocks. It was not cheap, but since I don't have a car, and my stroller is how I get my kids everywhere, I can't deal with junky strollers. I had the same model single stroller for Barak, originally, and it was the best stroller ever. (Those of you familiar with the Stroller Curse narrative--this one got stolen.) It powered over snowbanks, broken sidewalks, anything, and rolled with so little friction that it came with a wrist leash so it wouldn't get away from you. And you needed that leash, too.

Anyway. Yesterday afternoon, MHH and his father put it together for me. Barak played in the box (actually scaring me slightly, because I didn't see it when he got in there, he pulled it shut after him, he was very very very quiet, and for a minute I really didn't know where he'd gone). This was at around 4, after MHH had come home from school (early dismissal because of the fast day).

At around 4:30, Iyyar started yawning and rubbing his eyes. I took him into the bedroom, nursed him, and tried to get him to sleep.

Let's just skip over the next three hours and say that at 7:30, Iyyar was STILL not asleep after three hours of effort on my part. Exhausted wailing, red eyes, but every time he was almost asleep he'd snap out of it. And howl. "Wait a minute! I know what you're trying to do! You're trying to make me SLEEP! AAAHHHH!!!!"

My nerves were, shall we say, frayed. And MHH and his father had to go to maariv. And I had to put Barak to bed. And I knew I could not deal with two howling children. Fine, I said grimly. We will take the advice of Grandma E. We will go for a walk. I bundled everyone into pajamas, supplied them with blankies and pluggies as appropriate, and asked MHH to take the stroller down. At which point we discovered that it did not fit through the back door (which is the only way to get from our apartment to the outside world with only one door). He and his father managed to get it out the front door (which means out three doors), turned sideways, with a lot of grumbling and banging. I buckled a still-howling Iyyar and a very excited Barak ("No night-night? No night-night, Imma, 'kay? Go trip? Go innair stroller?") into the double stroller.

Ahh. This stroller is great. This stroller rocks. This stroller also rolls! It is absolutely effortless to push, even with two kids. I can move! I can walk fast! Okay, there is no basket to speak of, so I can't do much shopping with it, but I can move again! Woohoo! Imma's mood starts to lift considerably, despite all the screaming still issuing forth from the rockin' stroller.

I follow MHH and his dad to shul. I walk up and down the main shopping street. I go into the kosher grocery to check that the stroller fit through their door (and once inside feel compelled to buy something, namely, a diet coke.) And then I figure, well, what the heck. It's a gorgeous night. Let's walk to the supermarket.

The supermarket, ladies and gentlemen (do any men read this blog besides my husband?) is two miles away. I had already wandered around for about a mile. I decided I might as well get some exercise, and started walking fast. I walked all the way there, bought a couple of things, walked all the way back. By the time I got home, it was after 9:30, and I had walked five miles and change.

And they were both still wide awake.

3 comments:

I Know Toni said...

It's amazing that they do that. I have two as well...they are both...hmmm...not sleeping children? :)

Anonymous said...

Well, at least everyone got fresh air and you got some wonderful exercize-now if you can just get son #1 to push, you could climb in and get some sleep.LOL!!!!!!!!
I just read an article that said they have new baby mattresses that gently vibrate and give off a white noise sound that simulates the uterine experience! Maybe my daughter would have slept on one of those!

uberimma said...

He sleeps best in the bouncy seat, actually. It's really the only way to get him to sleep more than an hour or at most two at a stretch. But he's outgrown it, totally and definitively--it bends all the way back when he's in it and his feet hang off. I wonder if there is any kind of clip-on vibrating thing for a crib. I'm almost afraid to google it...