Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Sticker shock

We appear to have arrived at a workable compromise, involving our staying here for the next two years but first spending the summer in Israel. I talked to my boss today and she is ok with my telecommuting for two months; she will check with her boss tomorrow. So I came home tonight and started checking out fares.

And nearly fainted.

The best fares I can find would be eight thousand--yes, that's EIGHT THOUSAND--dollars for all of us. That's with Avtalyon in my lap.

I know fuel prices are through the roof. I know the dollar is in the toilet. But EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS?! Two thousand dollars per adult??

Does anyone have any better ideas than the usual online routes? Anyone?

3 comments:

miriamp said...

oh, my. guess we're not going any time soon! Sorry, no ideas.

Hatzlacha on making it all work!

Alisha said...

Israir? I just did a quick search for your size of family, on random dates (beginning of June to end of August) and came up with less than $6,000. Still bad, but much better. If you're flexible on dates that should help.

Also, I know that Delta just started their NYC-TLV direct flights, so they might still be having some promotions. Another idea is that it's often cheaper to fly a European airline with a stopover in their hub city.

uberimma said...

I checked Israir. $6551, but that's from New York, and we all have to get there first, which, when you factor in everything, is going to cost us either another thousand dollars.

I found $7550 on BA from here--that's the best I've managed so far.