Thursday, May 10, 2007

From the mouths of babes

Dinner tonight was chicken soup and knaidlach, or, in Barak's case, knaidlach with an absolute minimum of chicken soup. Definitely no carrots, thanks. In the middle of soup-eating, I got this gem:

"Hashem say hafta eat chicken soup and knaidlach on Shabbos."

And hundreds of thousands of yiden probably agree with him.

* * *

This afternoon, Barak was on the toilet and I was in my bedroom (adjacent to bathroom), nursing Iyyar, who has a little fever, threw up this afternoon, and is on permanurser status. The conversation with Barak, room-to-room, went something like this:

"Wassa mem say?"

"A mem says mmmm. What starts with a mem?"

"Moishy starts wiffa mem!"

"Right! And also?"

"I don't know."

"Also Menucha starts with a mem?"

"Yeah!"

"And also Menachem starts with a mem?"

"Yeah!"

"What does Imma start with?"

"Imma start wiffa aleph!"

"Right! How about Abba?"

"Also Abba start wiffa aleph!"

"Right!"

"What does broom start wif?"

"Umm. Broom starts with a B."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. See, there are two kinds of letters. There are aleph-beis letters, and ABC letters. Aleph and mem are aleph-beis letters. Broom starts with a B. That's an ABC letter."

Pause, during which I wonder if he is actually processing this. Then,

"What are you talking about?"

* * *

Yesterday, I made ravioli for dinner. I put herbs and cheese on the ravioli, and did not take out Barak's before the application of the dread "green." (No, I didn't forget. I just didn't.) I put some in Barak's bowl, and some in mine. Barak inspected the contents, and was not pleased.

"I no want it. I just want a clean one please."

* * *

This isn't really a talking post, but it's definitely a communicating post. As you may know, if you want to take a nursing baby off the Source of All Good Things, you can't just pull him off if he's actively sucking. That will hurt. What you have to do first is slide a finger in his mouth to break his latch.

Today, after Iyyar nursed and nursed and nursed, I'd had enough and went to take him off. But he saw the dreaded latch-breaking finger coming, grabbed it, held on, and wrenched it as far away from his mouth as he possibly could. Can't you see I'm busy here?

1 comment:

LC said...

Today, after Iyyar nursed and nursed and nursed, I'd had enough and went to take him off. But he saw the dreaded latch-breaking finger coming, grabbed it, held on, and wrenched it as far away from his mouth as he possibly could. Can't you see I'm busy here?

Tee hee. Mine both went slowly into "Mommy, go away, I'm too busy for you" mode after they hit one year. And by the week they each started walking, that was the final curtain. So toddler nursing still baffles me. :)