Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A poll

I really really really don't have time for a post, but it's been a while, and besides, I am sort of getting sick of looking at the picture that makes my stunning stunning curtains look like something that might hang in the windows of a Florida motel.

So, time for a question for all my fearless readers.

What reading material is in your bathroom, right now? Now, be honest. I don't read in the bathroom myself, but you can tell a lot about our household by what's on the floor of the bathroom. Especially Orthodox Jews, who read things in the bathroom they might not read elsewhere. Until I picked up the pile to bring it to the computer, we had:

The Prose Edda of Snorri Sturlusson, translated from the Icelandic by Jean I. Young (guess who this belongs to? Not me)
The Making of the Middle Ages, by WR Southern (see previous parenthetical comment)
an Astro City comic (see above, again)
Richard Scarry's Counting Book (a fine piece of literature)
and Cars and Trucks and Things that Go (another fine piece of literature, with Goldbug!)

Goldbug, by the way, is a little, um, gold bug, who appears here and there Where's Waldo-style throughout the book. Barak loves it. "Where Goldbug go?" "I don't know, Barak. Let's find out!" "Find out?"

Oh, and as a postscript to "night-night tomorrow," apparently I have a hierarchy of near-antonyms for "later." Depending on when I think I might do what Barak wants me to do, I might say "just a minute," "soon," "in a little while," "later," or "tomorrow." If Barak is campaigning for something I'm not planning on doing it in the foreseeable future--for example, taking the bus or going to Baskin-Robbins--I'll say, "Maybe another time."

Why do I now know this? Because lately, Barak has been trying them all. Last week, on the way home from a walk, he wanted to check that night-night wasn't next on the agenda. (It wasn't.)

"No night-night."

"No, no night-night now."

"No night-night soon?"

"No, not for a while."

"Night-night maybe another time."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Reminisce', 'Antique Tractor' and 'Vintage Truck' magazines (mine are scatterned elsewhere in the house!)

Anonymous said...

My mom used to say, "We'll see," which meant it would never happen. Or it would take so long that we felt like it would never happen. I swore I'd never say that phrase to my kids, but I humbly admit that I have synonymous phrases that they hear on a daily basis. Such is kid-hood. Such is mom-hood.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you said this was a poll. I can't add to it because my family keeps books and magazines here and there around the house, but not in the bathroom.

projgen said...

Add me to the "we'll see" victims list. Always, always meant "never."

As to what's in our bathroom:
The Art of the Bath
our province's health guide
SARK's Succulent Wild Women
Practical Guide to Aromatherapy
a few issues of Real Simple magazine
Fodor's guide to Israel, 1988 (the politics are funny. ha. ha.)
IKEA catalog
a few issues of Jerusalem Report

Hubby always brings in new books and/or magazines into the loo. I had to institute a rule: 1 in, 1 out. ;)

Anonymous said...

magazines (economist, new yorker, school alum mags) get read in the bathroom but aren't stored as we don't have the room... i have been known also bring in cotton knitting or crochet ... (no lace or wool)

and Richard Scarry is the best! Another favorite is Go Dog Go

Anonymous said...

"Heat Wave" by Eric Kleinberg. Because it reminds me you CAN actually die of the heat....

miriamp said...

We have three bathrooms: two of them have absolutely no reading material. The smallest one (of course) needs to be purged often, because it has: Business Week, Time Magazine, Architectural Digest (all three were free -- had to do something with all those otherwise about to expire frequent flyer miles), Parents, Family Fun(got a free year), Parenting, Reader's Digest, random assorted catalogs (Smart Home, Beauty Trends) a couple of programming theory books (dh's), a stack of paperbacks: 2 random star trek books, the Rowen (Anne McCaffrey), Her Majesty's Wizard (by Christopher somebody), and some Piers Anthony that hasn't made it into the recycling bin yet. (My mother likes to dump paperbacks on me, and I usually read them before getting rid of them to the recycling bin, or the library, as apporpriate.) The paperbacks at least are total brain candy. Oh, and there's one other from my mother that I can't remember the name of, but it's book 2 of a three book trilogy, so now I have to go find the other two somehow. (Library, probably)

Anonymous said...

Magazines, usually outdated. Cornell's alumni magazine, and the Improper Bostonian, most frequently.

If I'm in the middle of an interesting part of a book when the mood strikes me, I'll bring it along with me.

Anonymous said...

(sigh) Me, too, on the "We'll see" = "never" response to the Boy. Which he has figured out, but it too nice to argue about. Also, "Maybe some other time" = "In the very distant future, if ever, but there's a tiny chance you'll catch me in an indulgent mood and luck out."

Bathroom: random magazines, either people wearing pretty clothes or some architectural/remodeling/home decorating type. And Taber's Medical Encyclopedia, good for little bits of reading. And Marcus' Aurelius' "Meditations" every so often.