Wednesday, August 30, 2006

It's not just for Shabbos anymore

As I type (and pump, of course) I am inhaling the delicate fragrance of chicken soup, wafting in from the kitchen. Yeah, it's Wednesday night. So what? We can add a little kedusha to our Wednesdays too.

I didn't have any celery in the fridge and was not about to go buy any tonight. So it's onions, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, parshnips, and a few mushrooms I found hiding in there somewhere. Salt and pepper. A ton of fresh dill. And chicken, of course. We also have a box of organic whole-spelt matzo meal in the cupboard, waiting to be made into matzo balls. Do not even ask if I make sinkers or floaters. I use seltzer to lighten them up a little, but there's only so much that can be done with whole spelt.

Forty-five minutes till I can eat it. Chicken soup. Mmm. Or as Barak calls it, kitchen soup...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:D yum! I can't stomach whole spelt (or much spelt) anymore. it just sits in my tummy, not causing problems, but still quite brick like. it does not matter what the form or what i add on top. which is bad. i've been eating real wheat these days. matzoh balls sound really really yummy. I've haven't made 'em in a while..

barak's name sounds right. :)

i miss my mum's chicken soup.. hmm.. it's enough to make me *want* to eat meat thinking about it..

uberimma said...

Dizingoff's has good soup. Or they did when I lived there.

Mmm, Dizingoff's...

Anonymous said...

Wait, wait! I'll be right over!

Anonymous said...

I've never had spelt...

Lots of dill, eh? I love dill. Haven't made soup in ages; probably at least a year and a half. It's too hot to do so now, but maybe in about 4 months, and I'll try to remember the dill.

On the other hand, I went to Canter's deli in the Orthodox Jewish part of LA, the Fairfax district by the Farmer's Market and near LACMA, last month, and had an amazing bowl of borscht with an excellent chopped-liver-on-rye sandwich. Maybe I could make borscht...