Friday, July 21, 2006

Tragedy

There's no easy way to say it, so I'm just going to come out and say it:

This is what I get for gloating too much.

I killed my Bosch.

I didn't mean to. It wasn't another, er, stove incident. I used a recipe that worked last week, involving five pounds of whole wheat flour. But I was baking with Barak. I wasn't paying attention, and didn't put in the cup of oil. And the dough was just a little too stiff. Frankly, I was asking the Bosch to mix concrete. And it tried. It tried so hard, in fact, that it keeled over and died.

I thought that there was supposed to be some safety mechanism to prevent it from burning out its own motor, but if there is it didn't work. I was left kneading ten pounds of concrete by hand, and calling the dealer to cry.

To their credit, they are sending me a new base today, and a mailing label to ship the dead one back postpaid. It doesn't help my current challah crisis, but it's better than $319 worth of nonfunctioning mixer.

And I also bought the bigger stainless steel bread bowl. And was admonished to add the flour gradually next time, instead of dumping it all in, even though the sheet that came with the mixer SPECIFICALLY SAID you could do this.

Oh well.

Off to bake cookies. Mixed with my old hand mixer. Good shabbos, everyone.

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Wow. You are SO LUCKY they're sending you a new one. Most situations like that that I've been in, involving equipment that I used not-quite-as-intended, I've gotten the expected you-broke-it-you-pay-for-it response.

uberimma said...

I used it exactly as the instructions said. I was told, explicitly, that I could do a 5-lb bag of whole wheat flour, and that I could, and should, just dump it all in. The problem, apparently, was the stiffness of the dough, although I was only one cup of liquid short (it was KDH challah made with white whole wheat flour). The instructions also said I couldn't burn out the motor with a too-stiff dough because there was safety shutoff that would prevent that. Apparently not.

Anonymous said...

Can you post your carrot kugel recipe again? I want to make it and I can't find it in your archives. Thanks! (Yes, I've been reading that long!)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. :( Lucky you're getting a new one, though!