Monday, July 24, 2006

First day back at work

Well, it is, but not really. I'm still in my two-week work-at-home grace period. Tomorrow I have to go in for a few hours, which will be my first real period without Iyyar. I did go to Target with a friend last weekend, leaving him with MHH and a bottle, but that was just a trial run to make sure he would actually take the bottle. It was only an hour and a half, and this is likely to be at least four hours if not more.

I got SO MUCH WORK done this morning. No one stopped by my desk to schmooze. I could pump right at my computer while reading through things I needed to look at, without wasting half an hour in the lactation room. No going down to the cafeteria to look futilely for something kosher to eat that isn't junk. I just worked while Iyyar kicked on the blanket on the floor, and then I nursed him and handed him off to MHH, who put him down for a nap (after loading the dishwasher. Honestly, if we'd never so much as washed a dish in that thing it would still be worth what we paid for for it. It is the best baby-soother ever.)

Right now both Iyyar and Barak are napping, and when they wake up we (MHH and I) are planning on a Very Exciting Family Outing, involving taking them on the bus to go to Whole Foods. The destination is not the exciting part--what is exciting is the bus, which Barak does not remember he once took every day under major protest. These days, when he sees one he points and exclaims, "Bus! Bus fast! Bus zoom!" So we're all going to zoom to Whole Foods and get, I don't know, some organic butter or something.

And as you may have noticed I've been playing with my template and the profile and stuff. No real reason, just time for a change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) **hugs** hope that this work-from-home stays that way. Especially if you are oodles more productive. We won't talk about how much I just schlepped home to go through without distraction (of course the yarns are a massive temptation, and you were right, knitting with beautiful yarn makes my heart sing amazing arias, I will still crochet with anything though -- most of that ends up pet toys, so why use that gorgeous handspun (which one day I will make on my own). :) )

I like the new look (though honestly cannot remember the old). Very soothing on the eyes.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there -- you can do it! Iyyar will be fine, he's with Barak after all, which his brother didn't have, even though the other daycare was very good. You'll know they're both in the familiar home environment, although you have to be further from them. And in the long run it will be worth it. You will have health insurance, your family will be together, and eventually it won't be quite so hard to do.

Have fun at Whole Foods! It's one of the places I try to go to when I come away from my Middle o' Nowhere benighted location. Just the fruit alone has me wandering around in a haze... And I always go back with way more tea than I need, organic breakfast cereals, and whatever else doesn't need refrigeration for the long drive back.