Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The nursage chronicles, from Barak's point of view

Iyyar did not want to nap this morning. He fell asleep, woke up, fell asleep, woke up, cried, nursed, etc., etc. He finally conked out at 12:30, half an hour before I had to go get Barak. So I stealthily picked him up and slipped him into the Snugli. I wasn't stealthy enough; he woke right up, and of course, despite having nursed only about an hour and a half earlier was STARVING. I didn't have time to do anything about it, so we headed out, me pushing an empty stroller for Barak and Iyyar absolutely livid.

It wasn't the most fun walk--you get a lot of looks when you're walking very fast and, apparently, oblivious to the malnourished infant you're carrying. Some are sympathetic. Some are not. I should be less sensitive to this, but, well, I'm pretty sensitive to it. Anyway. We got Barak, who wanted to walk, not go in the stroller, and was promptly informed that Imma was going to start counting. That worked, fortunately--I have no idea what I would have done for a timeout in Morah Esther's backyard. We got home, by which time Iyyar was bright purple and totally, completely hysterical.

I usually put Barak straight down for a nap but today clearly Iyyar's needs trumped his. I slipped Barak a juice box--BIG treat--and sat down with Iyyar. Ahh. Silence. Barak watched all of this from behind his juice.

"Baby crying."

"Yes, he was crying, huh."

"Baby loud."

"He sure was."

Pause.

"Baby nursing."

"Yup, he's nursing now. He's not crying anymore, right?"

"Baby happy!"

1 comment:

uberimma said...

It's much easier to cope with the little screamer if the big one is strapped down! That way if I have to stop, I don't have to worry about him wandering off into the street, etc.