Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Sefiras ha'Tinok

Both my kids were born during the omer, which lent itself very well to counting baby sefira. As in, Today is fifteen days, which is two weeks and one day of the baby. Etc.

The omer is over, and he's more than seven weeks old--nine weeks yesterday, in fact. Meaning that I have less than three weeks until I have to go back to work. Something about which I am in complete, total denial. Work? What work? I'm a stay at home mother, I am.

Julia posted a week or two ago about working versus staying at home. I have so much to say about this it'll have to wait. Right now, though, I'm trying to pretend that this will go on forever--that Barak will spend the morning at playgroup while I snuggle the baby and run errands with him in the sling, that they'll both nap at more or less the same time while I make dinner, that we'll sit on the floor reading books and doing puzzles until MHH comes home at suppertime.

Iyyar is crying a little less and playing a little more. He's just beginning to show the first glimmers of smiling back at me when I smile at him, but mostly just smiles at windows and lamps and that kind of thing. He likes napping in the bouncy seat, especially when I put it next to the dishwasher--I guess all the swishing sounds familiar. (That's where he is right now, in fact.) He loves being held and spends most of his time either on me or in the sling or snugli. And he loves baths and clean diapers--unlike Barak, who hated water until he was at least one and still deeply resents the indignity of diaper changes, Iyyar is visibly delighted by being clean. He starts kvetching as soon as his diaper is wet, but once it's off--ahhh.

The last few posts have been very Barak-centric, so just thought I'd let you know that Iyyar continues to be sweet and cuddly. And has just outgrown his last newborn stretchie. Milestones...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good grief, but that goes fast!!! Wow. 7 weeks already, this new little person.

I am so happy for you.