Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The best-laid plans

First, I thought I would put this morning--the time when Ada has Barak--to good and noble use. I had it all planned out. Nurse baby, nap, shower, write ALL my thank-you notes. I even had the notecards and everything.

Then I got a cold. A really yucky nasty cold, which Barak and MHH have had all weekend and which I thought I had escaped. The kind of cold that makes every bone in your face ache. All right, I thought, we will scale back our ambitions. We will merely nurse the baby, shower, and then nap.

But Iyyar had other plans. Iyyar thought that just "nurse the baby" was enough ambition for one morning. He's been nursing for, um, about four hours. Straight. He just fell asleep, and Barak will be back in half an hour. I just have time to eat lunch.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, one out of three...

If I lived closer I would... well, that is sort of tricky with a newborn. Nurse him for you? Shower on your behalf? Nap?

Feed you. I would bring you something to eat.

Hang in there, the early baby days are so draining, aren't they?

Julia (Hippogriff blog)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you had this with Barak, but I remember an older friend telling me that there would be a day or two when the baby was about 3 weeks old when they nursed all day and night. Well, it happened just as she said when Abraham was a day or two past 3 weeks. I still remember the pain and finally propping myself in an overstuffed chair,baby at my breast so that at least I could get some sleep. Maybe this Iyyar's big feed. Good luck--and try to squeeze in that nap.