Thursday, June 16, 2005

Following up

Those of you who have been with me since my late lamented blog (the blog is dead, long live the blog) may remember that along about January I found myself with a rather unusual assignment at work.

Those of you who haven't been with me since then will of course not remember this exciting episode, and may even wonder what it is I do for a living. I'm a speechwriter, as it happens, for the president and senior leaders (but mostly the president) of a large NGO. Think Red Cross, though that isn't it. I like what I do. I don't have to talk much, which is good, because I'm shockingly incapable of intelligent speech when it isn't channeled through a keyboard. (I actually tried to communicate this idea orally today. I couldn't. Because I couldn't come up with the word "articulate." Because I'm not. Unless my mouth is shut and Word is open.)

Anyway, as I said, I like my job. I like the current president, who is a very nice person. I like the fact that my hours are flexible, that my boss is highly competent and extremely pleasant to work with, and that, as I said, I almost never have to actually open my mouth.

How did I get off on this tangent? And did I mention that it's 1 am and I can't sleep?

Sigh. Well, what I started out trying to say was that back in January, my boss called me into her office with an unusual request. She asked me to write a speech for the president. No, not that president. The President.

I don't think anyone from work will find this blog, but if they do, I don't really want to get fired. So I won't give all the details. But I will say that the tape of the speech came back last week, and I went down to AV and watched it.

And it was, well, one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

That's all I have to tell you tonight, really.

Tomorrow: More thrilling bulletins from the Land of Mold. Or maybe not. Stay tuned, as always, to this exciting channel.

1 comment:

Rob Cottingham said...

Hi. Stumbled across this post in a Technorati search on speechwriting and... wow. I have no idea how I'd have responded to that request. Maybe, "Can I choose which President, or does it have to be the current one?"

Congrats... that must have been a wild ride!