Monday, February 13, 2006

Knitting

I had a look at my sitemeter results, and discovered that of the 29 people who read my blog every day (okay, I know that's not necessarily what it means, but I do usually get around that many hits a day) most of them come from Sarah's site. That means they expect knitting content, which has been woefully lacking lately. But this does not mean I have not been knitting. Oh, no. No, not at all.

I finished yet another pair of socks last week, this pair at eight stitches per inch on size 1 needles. They are my patented toe-up design, which I did come up with myself but is so basic I'm sure it's been published somewhere. But for the record, I came up with it on a train between Moscow and St. Petersburg, in the middle of the summer, and knit it on 6s with a skein of dark charcoal LP (possibly the yarn I would choose if I had to pick one yarn to knit with for the rest of my life.) So this pair, as I say, on 1s, in Nomotta Regia, in self-striping wild pink. The first pair of socks I made with this yarn, at a slightly looser gauge, was well received by Barak's honorary grandma, for whom I have not made a pair of socks in something like three years. The tiger-striped socks I made in Sandes Smart were also well received by my friend-who-just-got-out-of-the-hospital; the wacky pink socks are a surprise destined for a friend in New Jersey, and I can say that because I know she doesn't read this.

I also made a hat, in an odd skein of Classic Elite wool/llama (not Maya, the other stuff, the heavier weight singles that pills--it's late, I can't remember what it's called) in a sort of sagey green, and just cast on for another hat in deep red KnitPicks wool/alpaca for nephew #2, whom we're going to see IY"H this Shabbos. He has a sweater on the needles, but it's stalled, and I think I can manage hats for both him and his middle sister by this weekend if I'm efficient. I'm using a pattern (from the Ann Budd basic patterns book) and hitting gauge, but it looks huge. Well, I will forge on and have faith, and if nothing else, he will grow into it eventually.

Speaking of sitemeter results (okay, it's been a while since I was speaking of that, but like I said, it's late) we will not mention some of the google and yahoo searches that have brought people here. We will not. Because they are very, very disturbing. But what I'd really like to know is, who's reading me in Lambeth, England, and Hessen, Germany? Do I know you? Or do you just find me, um, that interesting?

All right, so, it's 11:22 and I told myself I'd be in bed an hour ago, and I'm still at the computer and I really need to eat something before I go to bed. So I'm going now. Really. Right now. Three blog posts is plenty for one Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Hessen, I expect it's me you mean! I never realized that lurkers could be localized... I found your site through a knitting site and keep reading because your world is so different from mine. Wishing you all the best, Catherine

uberimma said...

Thanks for letting me know! I know who most of my readers are, or at least how they got here, so I was really wondering about those two! There are other mystery readers once in a while, but you and the London person are here regularly, so I got curious.

I didn't know you could find out who was lurking either until someone showed me Sitemeter. It's not as creepy as it sounds though--it only gives the location of your ISP, not the computer. So when I see myself on sitemeter, it actually has me two towns over (where my ISP is, apparently).

Anonymous said...

I get here via Sara's blog, but I enjoy your posts knitting or not.

Anonymous said...

I've done some knitting lately, too! Just so you and Cecilia know :)

I finished the bright yellow/orange scarf I was making for someone who was out here with me last year as well. It's now about 7 feet long, plus I cleverly figured out on my own how to add fringe to it, so it seems even longer. She has, in the meantime, crocheted me an entire afghan, so it's not like I've been particularly speedy. Now we have to find each other and swap.

I do have to confess something that will probably seem like heresy to both of you: I used acrylic yarn. She has to be able to toss it in the washing machine if she needs to, and it's not itchy. She chose the color: she wanted something very non-military.

I did use the little bamboo needles I bought with Cecilia, though, back when we were making squares for baby blankets for a couple of then-pregnant friends, so at least you can comfort yourselves with the thought that I'm not stuck with the plastic kind. Which, I admit, are nasty, especially when they have that sharp seam running down the middle.

Though I will admit to a fascination with the bright blue metallic aluminum ones... I think because my mom had a pair when I was a child. Ooooh, shiny...