Tuesday, January 31, 2006

What I made for dinner last night.

It was spectacularly delicious if I do say so.

First I made this, using two cups of whole wheat flour and one of white (I didn't have any semolina, and MHH prefers whole wheat). You really hardly have to knead it at all--a minute in the bowl is plenty. When the dough was done rising and resting (and yes, they are right, the resting part is key), I divided it in not-quite-equal halves, stretched the bigger one into a circle, and put it on a parchment-covered pizza pan and into the 500-degree oven for four minutes. Then I put, on top of that, about a pound of spinach (frozen, thawed under hot water and squeezed out) mixed with feta, mozzarella, one big sauteed onion, two eggs, and black pepper. Then I rolled out the rest of the dough, put that on top of everything, brushed it with beaten egg, sprinkled it with sesame seeds and put it all back in the oven. And oh, my goodness me. I certainly plan to be doing that again soon.

Total work time was actually really minimal. Mixing and kneading the dough took ten minutes with almost no cleanup. The only vegetable prep was the one onion--everything else just went in the bowl. And it was so, so yummy--much better than I'd expected. Mmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where, praytell, does one buy "dough relaxer" and "pizza dough flavoring" (or what would be good substitutes?

uberimma said...

You can buy it from King Arthur, but I don't know if it's kosher. I never checked. I don't use either, but you could make you own pizza flavoring by grinding basil, oregano, marjoram etc. I don't think it would work well with the filling I used, though.

uberimma said...

Yes, that's exactly what it was, just with a filling that was more a spanakopita filling than a pizza filling. Yes, I pinched the crusts, although if I'd been thinking deep-dish pizza at the time I would have made it in, well, a deep dish, instead of on a cookie sheet

I was just surprised with how much better it was than I expected. It was definitely a case of the whole being more than the sum of its parts. Or maybe I was just really, really hungry...