Sunday, January 29, 2006

In the interest of full disclosure

I should probably point out that just because I tend to blog about Barak doing things that are, in my eyes anyway, really sweet or really amazing, it doesn't mean that he doesn't, with reasonable regularity, scream, kvetch, misbehave, and drive me crazy in general. I just don't tend to blog about it, because--well, maybe because it seems sort of lashon hara-ey (very loosely translated, libelous), and maybe because I don't remember it once he's asleep and I'm at my computer, and maybe because it seems like normal toddlerdom that doesn't need to be documented. The unintended consequence, though, is that he comes across in this blog as a paragon of saintly toddlerhood, which, well, he's not, really--misty-eyed maternal takes on things notwithstanding.

For the record, then, let me state that when I took Barak to a Chinese auction tonight, benefiting the local bais yaakov, he a) sneaked a cookie, after I had given him one and told him he couldn't have two, b) refused point-blank to hold my hand and did the boneless toddler routine to avoid it, c) ran away from me more than once, and d) threw a major fit when it was time to leave. Yes, he was tired, and it was late, and he had been good all day (well, okay, we had two diaper-changing incidents), so it wasn't really such a big deal.

But I just thought I should let you know.

And no, I don't know if I won anything at the auction yet--for those unacquainted with these things, a Chinese auction is just a lot of raffles. You buy your tickets and put them in the boxes next to the things you want to win. Because I'm boring, I put my tickets in the boxes next to a lot of dishes and housewares and gift certificates to bookstores. Everything's donated, so even if you don't win anything you've just given some money to the school, which is something I do fairly regularly anyway by way of the pushka in the bakery. Still, it would be fun to score the food processor. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: