Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Your turn

Dear readers, I am tired of making decisions.

I am particularly tired of making big scary decisions involving lots of money.

And decisions involving our apartment.

So I am leaving this one up to you all, okay?

The estimate that we got for the painting does not include the trim, because it is all wood and I wanted to keep it so. Now it transpires, on closer inspection, that the trim is really banged up, and it will probably not look so nice once the walls are painted and look, well, nice. I talked to the contractor, who said that to really fix up the trim would take a lot of filler and sanding, not to mention $750.

Yes, we have it. But we are spending so much money that I can't even add it up, because I might just keel over and die. (Okay, that's not true. I did finally add it up, and the addition wasn't actually lethal. But it was painful.) We were kind of hoping to put some money into the mortgage after we move, so we won't be paying it for the rest of our lives. Spending--urgh--$3,500 on the paint job is not quite what I was planning. But maybe it's worth it. Or maybe not. So I would like it if you would decide for me.

Anyway, it's now 4:45, central time. I'll check back here at about 7 tomorrow morning. Please drop your votes in the ballot box below. Thank you for your time and sense of civic responsibility.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do it. it'll be painful, but then you'll get to live in beauty for years to come!

c

Anonymous said...

Fix up the trim, whether that means refinishing the wood or filling and painting it. $750 is really not that much in the grand scheme of the purchase and improvement budget, and you will regret it later if you dont' spend it now.

Also, don't fret too much about making extra mortgage payments for the next few months. Rebuild your financial cushion and then start making overpayments next year. Getting yourselves settled and happy should be your priority for a few weeks (at least).

Anonymous said...

Well, as of 8 am, I had a tie on the blog--C said paint, Jacque said no paint, and Deb agreed with both! But the email votes pushed it to the paint ballot, so that's what I did. And Shanna now makes the victory a landslide.

Stay tuned for the next crisis: curtains.