Sunday, March 19, 2006

blogging hiatus

When I was pregnant with Barak, and since, I had the list of things I was worried about. Nothing on the list has happened (yet); the things that have happened were never things that were on the list.

I guess I should have put bedrest on the list for this pregnancy.

Went to the midwife the week before last feeling wrong. I have only called the midwife once this whole pregnancy, when I was in a minor car accident in December. So if you are someone who never calls with a worry, and you call saying you're worried, they pay attention. I went in, and everything looked fine. So I stopped worrying.

Friday, I went in for my regular checkup, not worried. And then my midwife checked me. And then she sat down and said, "Well, this is not the news I had hoped to give you." And then I got worried. I am 31 weeks, and yes, it's much better than, say, 26 weeks, but giving birth now--or in a week or two--would still be very, very bad.

So I'm on bedrest. I'm allowed to get up to eat, shower, and go to the bathroom, and I can sit up enough to type for four hours a day (not consecutively) so that I can still work from home and not use up all my FMLA leave now. Typing while lying on my side, which is what I'm doing now, is not exactly fun or relaxing, so I think that this blog is going to have to go on a little hiatus.

As is the rest of my life, I guess.

And yes, Pesach is coming. I'm not thinking about it. All I'm thinking about is keeping the baby in.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!
All the best
Catherine

Anonymous said...

What a time for you and the family! I know that all will be well, but what is your Hebrew name for t'fillah!?!

projgen said...

Take care of yourself and baby-to-be! I hope the next few weeks go smoothly, quickly and most of all: safely.

I'll miss your posts and Barak's lingual progression(!), but I'll look forward to your return all in good time.

Anonymous said...

The baby will stay in, and Pesach will take care of itself. I promise - things will work out.

Anonymous said...

I, too, ascribe to the school of [once I've done what I can and then acknowledge that it's SO way over my head that I just can't deal] "these things really DO work out" thought. Not quite sure if that's exactly what Shanna meant :) but hey, leaving things in Gd's hands found me my bashert, and a wonderful year learning in Israel. . .

It probably comes down to the same as emunah and bitachon in the end, but the more practical issue is, if you don't consciously worry about it, it will work out anyway. So don't waste the energy worrying - just go grow a healthy baby!

yiddishehmama said...

Just be well and safe and healthy. Indeed, everything will take care of itself in due time.

I enjoy reading your posts very much and look forward to the time when you can comfortably keep us updated about the joys in your life.

In the meantime, G-d willing all that you need will be provided! Warm & fuzzy thoughts are coming your way!

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself. We all look forward to hearing from you again when you're (literally) up for it. Hugs to you and Barak and have fun knitting things since you're lying down anyway!

Heather said...

the baby they put me on bedrest with, wound up being 2 weeks late! don't worry if it decides to suddenly wait! i highly recommend evening primrose oil! my midwives started me on it at 36 weeks. made 24 hr labors into 3-5 hour labours!