Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Trip

I took Barak on a trip today. He's been talking about trains for a while, and I was thinking I would take him on a short train trip (commuter rail) from where I work to, um, a yarn store I've been wanting to visit. So I took him with me first to the midwife (aka "baby doctor") and then to the yarn store, via bus and train.

I don't have time to do it justice, because I have to do all the writing I didn't do this morning, but oh my gosh we had fun. At the midwife's I asked the nurse to let him listen to his own heart with the stethescope. I wasn't sure he'd be able to hear anything through his sweater, but from the look on his face it was obvious he could. Then he listened to my heart. Then the nurse left. "Barak, did you hear your heart?" "Yeah." "What did it sound like?" "Boom boom boom."

And then the midwife came in (the same one who delivered Iyyar, whom I have not seen since. "You look different!" she chirped. Yeah, just wait another three months or so...) She pulled out her Doppler and we listened to the baby's heartbeat. I think at that moment it sank in with Barak that something really is up with the expanding tummy that he isn't supposed to squish. He does know that dere's a new baby in dere, but I think it somehow clicked a little bit more today.

We took the train out to the yarn store afterwards, which took more than an hour. But it was fine--great, actually. Barak is just so much fun to travel with. And he was enjoying himself so much. Every so often he'd burst out with, "I likea trip! I like going on buses and trains!" or just start laughing like mad out of nowhere, which he does when he's really having fun. He ate his Bamba and crackers very neatly (you know, in the scheme of things) while looking out the window and mostly sitting still. He did object a little when the train kept slowing down, but I pointed out that a slow train offered enhanced opportunities for truck-spotting, of which there were many. We saw a number of excavators, some forklifts, a few cranes, a bulldozer and an articulated bus. We also saw an old building with gargoyles ("Goblins!")

And my son, bless him, reminded me on the way to the yarn store, "Gotta buy lotta yarn, Imma. You need a lot of yarn. You don't have enough yarn. Iss very important ta have a lotta yarn."

Do you think he's my kid? Yeah, me too.

6 comments:

miriamp said...

My oldest, when he was closer to Barak's age, always referred to prenatal appointments as "going to the heartbeat doctor."

I like the yarn thing. Very cute.

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow Barak for a while? I need a yarn advocate over at my house....

I thought of you yesterday when we were on our way into Philly and got held up at a drawbridge so a cargo barge could go by. Barak would have died. "Issa bridge! Issa bridge dat goes up! Whya bridge up?"

uberimma said...

Between the boats and the bridge splitting in half he probably would have been completely speechless, actually. I suspect it would have taken him a few minutes of goggling to croak out a "Why, Imma? Why?"

I am very lucky that I don't need a yarn advocate. I could probably bring a few sheep into the house and my husband wouldn't notice. Well. Okay, live sheep he might notice when they started chewing on the seforim, but a few sheepworth of yarn, no.

Alisha said...

LOL to your last comment!!!! :-)

Unknown said...

Wow. I need Barak, too. Can he come with Isabelle and me to Rhinebeck? No?
You see I just bought the Victorian Lace knitting book and none of my yarns are fine enough...

Anonymous said...

I went on the subway to meet Robbie and bring him back downtown with me. He had fun, especially since riding the rails is still a rare thing to do, but I'm afraid it's not quite the joyous thrill it used to be. It's almost [gasp!] only transportation now.

Sigh...