Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pinch me

Tonight I was sitting in the kitchen nursing the baby as my husband and the kids finished up dinner. Barak saw my water bottle empty on the kitchen table and offered to fill it up for me; I said yes please, and he dragged a chair over to the sink and started filling the bottle up, which is something he likes doing. So there I was, baby nursing away, husband and Iyyar at the table polishing off green beans and fish sticks, Avtalyon in his high chair enjoying his spinach noodles, and me watching Barak, perched on a kitchen chair with his red stripey shirt, airplane kippa, and payes sticking out.

It doesn't seem real sometimes. It seems too good to be true, too good to be happening to me, and sometimes, I half expect to wake up back in high school or back at my old apartment, alone, to find it was all a dream.

No other place, no other time, is as good as this place, this time, right now. It's hard to think of asking for anything else, asking for anything more. Every time I start to say "please," all I can think is, "thank you."

4 comments:

Alisha said...

I read this post this morning and wanted to respond but couldn't come up with what to say. I read it again tonight and I'm still speechless...overcome by happiness for you, awe at your humility and gratitude, and, I admit, a smidgen of jealousy. May your ''thank you''s forever outweigh your ''please''s.

LC said...

Beautiful. May you always be able to feel so.

Hasya Ya'ara said...

Your words are expressed so eloquently.

They come from the heart.

Jasmijn said...

Oh, that is so beautiful. I'm so happy for you. May your reality always be better than you dared to dream it would be. How lovely that you recognize that you are so fortunate, and that the little things are the greatest.