Wednesday, October 19, 2005

for your chol ha'moed amusement

Well, speaking of Shanna, she's now asked me to participate in the seven meme. I'm not tapping anybody, Shanna, but I'll answer them. With links! I'll add to it when I have time--right now I can only do as much as I can get finished before MHH and MHBIL finish fixing the schach that blew off the succah last night.

Seven Things I Can Do

1. Knit just about anything, as long as it isn't lace
2. Make Shabbos from scratch in two hours flat. (Not that I've ever had to do this, of course.)
3. Smile upside down. Meaning, I can make a face exactly like Beaker's, of the Muppets. I've only ever met one other person who can do this.
4. Spin really, really fast on a handspindle. (I have a purple ribbon to prove it, too.)
5. Find my husband's wallet, keys, glasses, and kippah, through my amazing powers of omniscience.
6. Navigate the Budapest public transit system without fear.
7. Make killer latkes, the old-fashioned way--with the blood of my knuckles.

Seven Things I Can't Do

1. Debate important issues calmly with anyone hostile.
2. Fit into my pre-Barak wardrobe.
3. Cook kasha varnishkas for my husband without dry heaves. The smell, oh, the smell is so awful... (You didn't really want a link for that, did you? )
4. Stop trying to second-guess G-d.
5. Drive.
6. Cut up raw chicken, or even be in the same room as someone who is cutting raw chicken. (Oh, the crunching of bones.... yecch!
7. Read Hebrew aloud in front of anyone. It's this block I have. I can read Hebrew to myself, and I can even speak it to some reasonable degree. But I can't even read from a Haggada in front of my husband without stumbling.

7 Celebrity Crushes

1. Ummm... get back to me on that. It's hard without a TV.

7 Things I Would Like to Do Before I Die

1. Raise happy, healthy children who love Torah and still like me when they're grown up.
2. Fit into at least some of my pre-Barak wardrobe. Like those nice size 8 wool skirts...
3. Take MHH to meet MHG (my holy granny, in Hungary).
4. Make aliyah.
5. Visit New Zealand.
6. Speak fluent Hebrew.
7. Teach Barak Hungarian, at least enough to talk to my grandmother.

7 Things I Say Often

1. Chas v'chalila
2. Oh, my goodness me.
3. Barak, come here, please. Barak, Imma said come here. When Imma says come here, you come. (Followed by the sound of Imma's feet as she goes chasing Barak.)
4. In other news...
5. You think I'm oppressed, don't you. (To my boss, every time I explain some aspect of Jewish observance to her and she gets That Look.)
6. Please go to bed or you'll be miserable tomorrow. (To MHH)
7. Could you take the garbage out, please?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand. I just wish my husband would teach me just a *bit* of magyar so I know when my wonderful MIL or FIL are talking about me.

and as for navigating the Budapest metro system? I am in awe. I'm still amazed that I got from point A to B without .. well.. those escalators are scary.

Anonymous said...

"5. Find my husband's wallet, keys, glasses, and kippah, through my amazing powers of omniscience."

So it's not just me? I have my husband convinced (no matter how many times I politely tell him he's nuts) that I "decide" where something can be found, and it jumps there. Usually after he's looked there and not found it, and then I tell him where to look, and suddenly he sees it there after all.

Anonymous said...

If you suddenly, and probably surprisingly, find yourself and your family in LA or Vegas, at least you won't have to cook the kasha varnishkas yourself -- you can just go to Canter's deli and pay $5 and be done with it.

I know this because I Googled "kasha varnishka" to find out what it was and why it might make you heave. I must say it sounds just bland, but then again the smell doesn't come with the couple of recipes I looked over. What's it like? And if it smells so icky, why do people make it? Does it taste good once cooked?

Inquiring goyim want to know...

:p

Anonymous said...

Hi - just reading your post - a year late and I was wondering if you can tell me how on is allowed to attach the schach to the succah as ours blew off on Shabbos.
Thanks
katelurie@hotmail.com