Sunday, August 21, 2005

Things Barak Did Today

1. Made interesting scrunchy faces

2. Said "oh no!" in a way that even someone who isn't his mother would understand

3. Walked down the street holding both my hand and MHH's

4. Stacked blue and yellow plastic cups, unstacked them and restacked them. Repeat.

5. Discovered that Lego are good for things besides banging and sucking

That last was the most fun. He'd hand me a piece, I'd attach it to another piece and hand it back. He'd cackle, head off to investigate his treasure, and it would promptly fall apart under the force of his interest. Much brow-furrowing would ensue, and Barak would give me the look that means, "you can fix it, Imma, right?" I'd ask for another piece, he'd hand me another piece, I'd put together a new little structure and he'd cackle with more glee. This went on for most of the morning. This afternoon, he decided to nap from 3 until well past 5, meaning that bedtime was postponed till after 8, and I took him with me to shul when it was time for MHH to daven mincha. Of course, he found a sink plunger in the shul kitchen (at least I fervently hope it was a sink plunger, being as it was in the kitchen and all) and wandered around the social hall with it, getting headed off by mean old Imma every time he tried to get into the sanctuary (even though I didn't think it was a toilet plunger, I still didn't really want him dragging it into the middle of krias ha'Torah, just, you know, in case.) He made it as far as seudat shlishit, then showed his first signs of meltdown (an hour past his normal bedtime, which wasn't bad) so we went home and he went to sleep really nicely (kein ayin hara).

Anyway, so, that was our Shabbos. Tomorrow is my first solo outing since Barak was born--going to a fiber show with a friend. I'm leaving at 6 am and coming home at 11 pm, and the boys are on their own. I fully expect to return to find them both asleep on the living room floor surrounded by empty tubs of ice cream and sticky spoons. But don't tell them I said that.